Friday, 14 September 2012

Kerrie - Part-time Centre Assistant

This is the second of our 'People Profiles' and this time it's the turn of Kerrie, one of our seasonal helpers.




I have been riding for almost 22 years so horses have always been a big part of my life.

I first started at the Exmoor Pony Centre as a volunteer in March 2011. Having recently moved to West Somerset I thought it would be a good way to meet like-minded people and get to know the area better. I started as a seasonal helper in the summer and have been here ever since!

The role as a centre assistant is very varied. In the busy summer season I spend lots of time talking to visitors about the work we do, and delivering taster sessions and taking treks out on the moor. We are very lucky to cross a couple of fields and get straight out onto Winsford Hill with no road work. The moor is very beautiful in all weathers, even in the pouring rain - which we seem to experience rather a lot of! I love the fact that you see so much more wildlife from the back of a pony.

The ridden ponies we work with are all lovely; they each have their own personality and seem to know who needs looking after. It’s difficult to have a favourite but I do have a soft spot for Dylan who is always a very trusty trek leader!

During last winter I was lucky enough to learn about handling foals from my colleagues and I am looking forward to improving my technique over the coming winter. There is always so much to learn but luckily the ponies are very good teachers!

Kerrie

2 comments:

  1. Hello Gail, hello Kerrie!! Nice to read about your work with these beautiful ponies! All the best! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work is very rewarding, Kitty, and we love it.

    ReplyDelete